Wednesday 5 February 2014

Draft Double Page Spread article


Double Page spread DRAFT

RIDING SOUL-O
“I feel like I’m ready to step out of the shadows and into the limelight”

Above is what I am planning to have as my Headline and Pull quote for the main cover story. Below is the double page spread article written in draft which will require some if not many changes to be the best quality it can be and to resemble other professional and famous music magazines in the country:

Strolling through the infamous Leicester Square in West End London on a cold and icy December afternoon, her entourage consisting of only four security guards, Annalisa Ambros is a face many are surprised to see. Flanked by fans of the Grammy-award winning girl group Liberal Ladies of which Annalisa is a former fifth member, iPhones are held up left-right-and-centre and anxious press are shouting over one another to get their million-dollar question answered first. Annalisa continues to stroll at a faster pace until raising her head ever so slightly. She flicks a long strand of her freshly trimmed Jet Black weave behind her shoulder to reveal the most innocent of smiles. I sit anxiously in the foyer of Asia De Cuba, this musician’s favourite restaurant on St Martin’s Lane, anxiously observing her arrival through the glass wall entrance.

In she comes, brushing the remains of frost and sleet off of her Lipsy London brown, suede coat and on seeing me, she flashes me that wide grin that almost every newspaper and magazine had captured in group photographs, but who had never gone into depth about the character behind it. As I stand up to greet her I notice this songstress is rocking a hip, fresh and modern style sporting Dark Levi jeans with heeled thigh boots and a faux fur waistcoat, paired with oversized hooped earrings and that signature rich, red lipstick. “Your hands are cold”, she says giggling as much as the cold air allows her to. I smile and feel warmed by her easy-going nature making it easier for me to begin my first question.

“Well, what a jam-packed year it’s been for you!”

“Indeed it has hahah!”

“First of all the allegedly sour splitting up of Liberal Ladies, then your signing up to a new record label as a solo artist and now the release of your Debut Album SENTIMENTAL is approaching! What are your thoughts about the events this year has brought to you?”

“Well when you put it like that it’s been a long and winding tale of twists, turns, set-backs and achievements. But to be honest I wouldn’t change a thing - even the really grey areas hahah. I’ve learnt so much about myself this year it’s been like a sort of self-discovery process for me – and a well needed one at that!”

“You mentioned the grey areas. Your group Liberal Ladies formed in late July 2010 released the hit debut single “Kill My Vibe” in February of 2011 which reached the UK top 20 landing an impressive place at number four. Since then you have had four songs reach the UK top 10, 1 of which had a roaring success maintaining at number 2 for several weeks in the UK charts and ranking the 3rd most downloaded song on ITunes of 2011. What went wrong?”

“It’s a very complex subject but one I don’t mind talking about at all and in fact feel that a few things regarding the alleged spat between lead singer Cassie Emejuru and myself. I cherish every single moment that I spent with the girls in that group, but after the commotion and chaos that came with our second single’s success, I knew something was up. I wasn’t happy anymore. I felt like every red carpet, every premiere, every tour and every photo shoot was a lie, I felt that I was handing the power that all five of us originally shared, over to one person. I felt like all of the hard work, advice and effort I was putting into the song-writing and recording process was constantly being ignored and dismissed. It was like in school when people would push in front of you in the dinner line and you’d have to wait longer and longer to be served. I was waiting and waiting for 18 months for my voice to be heard and I started to buckle under the pressure of ‘keeping up appearances’. On top of this, I felt like the music we were producing was becoming too electrified and techno and instead of producing funky R&B tracks we began to produce predictable, club/dance tracks which slowly started to sink in the charts.”

“So was that the reason you split up?”

“Not necessarily, I think I was the first one to become increasingly aware of my need for departure from the group, because I was feeling controlled, restricted and overpowered by Cassie, whose confident bravado and easy ability to get to know people worked in her favour as the lead singer. Me on the other hand, have always had a hard time with this aspect of fame and felt like I was being disconnected with the real reason I ever fell in love and wanted to pursue a music career, so the music could touch people. If someone’s telling me how I can and can’t do my job, then you won’t see me sticking around for long, because to them it might be just a job but to me, it’s a passion.

“Inspiring words! How does your relationship with the band members stand now?”

“After everyone else decided that they too could feel the negative vibes within the group, we all kind of went our separate ways. Charmaine I know dreamed of starting a family and I believe is doing spots of TV presenting here and there, so everyone is keeping well and at the moment it’s a pretty unanimous feeling that the break-up was for the best! I keep in touch with them all though – even Cassie!”

“Well now that that’s cleared up I think it’s fair to say that you have been extremely successful in taking the risk of going solo. How are you finding it?”

“Massive culture change!” she gasps and gulps some lemonade from her glass. “I do miss the girls. No matter what happened there some seriously wonderful times had and experiences shared it’s really a shame that it had to end this way. But with every cloud there’s a silver lining and you just have to look at the positives out of the situation. I now realise the path which I wish for the rest of my life to go down and its time for me now to focus on my OWN music. It’s a perfect time for me to song-write as I have come through a lot and being to come out as a solo artist from all of this has made me feel like I’m ready to step out of the shadows and into the limelight.”

“And that you certainly have! The release of your debut album SENTIMENTAL is due to be released on 31st March 2014. Tell me a bit about it.”

“It’s called sentimental because nearly every track on the album is solemn, soothing and expressive of true emotion. I’ve completely stripped it back and reverted to my old musical tastes, the reason I wanted to do music in the first place! It’s like I’m my own boss now, it makes making music a lot more fulfilling and exhilarating now more than ever. I have found my own style, my own sound and my own voice, and am hoping and praying that Liberal Ladies fans will stick with me on my journey into the fascinating discovery of Neo-soul twists on R&B funk.”

And with that, Annalisa Ambros released a sigh of relief that the interview was over, resuming to the wonderfully outgoing and bubbly personality that I had witnessed come through that door. It’s clear that this intelligent and well spoken chick has gone from shy to fly and I wish her all the best in the success of her single SENTIMENTAL. It will definitely be on MY Christmas list!


No comments:

Post a Comment